A survey conducted during the Group Stage of this year’s soccer World Cup of over 200 IT admins and network managers in the United States showed the impact of “the beautiful game” on US business networks.
Seventy-percent of those surveyed said that employees streaming games in the office in the office was having an adverse effect on network performance and/or business operations. Of the only 52-percent that admitted to having a proactive plan in place to deal with the spike in bandwidth, the most common steps taken were:
- 71% | Set threshold alarms
- 59% | Monitor top applications
- 56% | Blocked certain websites
- 44% | Monitor bandwidth by user or device
- 32% | Encourage employees to use one central location/device for streaming, such as a conference room